Monday 30 April 2012

Nearly there

I've been avoiding 'the blanket', the reason being - the edge and the unfinished bits. There's still one piece to concoct and one piece that doesn't look quite right because it's a solid block of colour. This will involve 'unpicking' - another task which I avoid.


I can never decide where to stop an edge and always keep going round and round until I feel I should stop. Then there is the agonising decision of how to 'finish off'. I don't particularly like fancy edging but wanted to do something I'd not tackled before. Whilst blog browsing I came across a simple picot edge that didn't look too flouncy but I'm afraid I wasted a little bit more time avoiding the blanket again and started something new. Here's the edging. It is taking me just over half an hour to complete each side. Now I've only two sides to go.


And here is the reason for my delay in finishing.


These are Granny Rose Squares. I found the pattern 'here' (via a circuitous route through Tangled Happy blog) whilst researching edging for blankets. Week 5 shows the picot edging I used. There is a link to Apple Blossom Dreams blog which shows  the squares being used to make a picot edged cushion. Once I started on one square I couldn't stop.


I don't know what I'm going to make with them yet. I'm rapidly running out of coloured wool for my Nativity figures - whoops!

PS I've replied to the comments yesterday and hello to my new followers.




6 comments:

  1. Your blanket is lovely! I too have some projects I have been putting to the side for to long, need to do some finishing up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those new squares look fab, they'd make a great cushion cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I feel another crochet addiction coming on! Your blanket looks great.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't those rose squares clever? They'd make a lovely throw or cushion for a gypsy inspired look. Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god, more reasons to start learning to crochet, love those roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learnt to do those last year and i love them..I did nine like your pic then joined them with double crochet then continued around them and made it into a rug with alternate rows of the centre colours and it looks lovely,I had nowhere to place a cushion so this way i could use it often,an 83 year old taught me! she went to a crochet class and came back to cackle Club and taught us all..I think I had better do some more now you have bought it all back lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.