Tuesday 19 May 2015

Stretching exercise

This week's chicken casserole yielded enough for 6 meals plus quite a lot of 'gravy' which I turned into soup with leftover cooked veg and a spoonful of Bovril. We'll probably have enough for 4 bowls of soup there. While I was in the kitchen I made some scones and a couple of Granny loaves (the recipes are in the Be-ro cookbook). One of the loaves I'll put in the freezer for another day. The Granny loaf used up the extra milk I had in the fridge. When I look in my old Be-ro recipe book it's surprising how many different recipes there are using flour, fat, eggs, milk and sugar. I also made another 2 loaves today to keep us going for a few days. I leave out the butter now and the bread is just as good.

xx

9 comments:

  1. Well done! I do intend to start making my own bread, but I doubt it would save any money as Dan is a bread lover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how far you can stretch things, I have a Be-ro cookbook as well, its one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. making your own bread is about the ingredients you use, just lovely natural things, I love home made bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Granny loaf sounds lovely. I love anything with walnuts in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From your heading I was expecting something completely different but should have realized. I like the sound of your recipes. Squash & sweet potatoes soup here yesterday Cy. Should do the 2 of us a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Be-Ro cookbook, I have a couple and use them especially for the Yorkshire Pudding recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love saving fat from chicken or other meats. It's frugal, useful and best of all -- yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen this cookbook, but i love reading how you save, it's very encouraging to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Out f all my trillions of Cook books my Bero book is the most used!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.