Saturday 8 October 2016

Useful gift

A gift of pears was used as an ingredient in the cake I made yesterday. The recipe was also a gift from the same friend which was given to her by her friend. I have adapted it slightly.

Pear, nut and chocolate cake

4 oz whizzed up nuts, fruits and seeds
5 oz SR flour
6 oz butter cubed
5 oz light brown sugar
2 large eggs beaten
5 small rip pears peeled, cored and chopped (or drained tinned pears)
2 pieces of Christmas Toblerone (pinched before Christmas)

*****

Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
Rub the butter into the flour until it forms fine crumbs.
Mix in eggs and sugar.
Add most of the pears and whizzed up chocolate and mix gently.
Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and smooth.
Press in the leftover pear pieces.

Bake in a 160 degree oven for 50 - 60 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to set for 10 minutes before turning out.


Mine's not the neatest of looking cakes and the pears I used were very, very small and hard.


It tasted fine though.


My notes on my recipe paper were:-

No way can breadcrumbs be formed by rubbing in, the mixture just sticks together. It is very heavy and sloppy. The cake smells delightful. Made it with Toblerone instead of dark chocolate and substituted nuts, fruits and seeds instead of just hazelnuts.

I had mine piece with custard and DH had his with spray cream. I did catch him pinching another piece in the afternoon!

xx

4 comments:

  1. I think I would just use soft butter and beat it into the flour. Rubbing in the margarine or butter is usually for pastry and scone type mixtures rather than cakes, so your notes are spot on :-)

    I love the idea of using Toblerone and whizzed up fruit, nuts and seeds, it makes it seem healthy AND a treat all in one go ... and of course with the pears it is one of your five a day too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'm with you in that I would have had custard with it too. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am afraid if I was making it the Toblerone wouldn't have made it into the cake x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.